About the STEM Spotlight Awards
The STEM Spotlight Awards shine a light on creative thinkers and problem-solvers who may not fall into the traditional post-secondary education system. Bringing together five industry leaders, the STEM Spotlight Awards pose real-world questions supported by industry leaders and community partners. This inaugural initiative is designed to draw attention to the next generation of careers that will break new ground and create positive real-world change.
The STEM Spotlight Awards, in association with Babcock Canada Inc., are open to post-secondary individuals between the ages of 18 – 28 who are interested in pursuing a career in STEM industries. There will be nearly one million job openings created in BC between now and 2022, a projected 44% of which will be in the skilled trades and technical occupations. The future generation of workers, thinkers and ‘do’ers is imperative to keep our economic outlook high during this time of exciting growth and evolution. This competition provides the opportunity for those interested in the STEM sectors to get their ideas in front of some of the most influential companies in Canadian STEM industries and explore the viable career prospects that are ready and waiting in these fields.
The STEM Spotlight Awards is comprised of five STEM industry categories: Energy, Infrastructure, Sustainability, Technology, and Transportation. Each category sponsor poses a real-world question to which entrants formulate creative solutions. The five category winners will be awarded a $1,000 prize before competing for their chance at the overall $20,000 award, to be determined by three expert independent judges.
How does the competition work?
- Industry leaders in five categories (Energy, Infrastructure, Sustainability, Technology and Transportation) pose a question that challenges their industry to all entrants.
- Entrants are invited to propose a creative solution to the challenge in the format of a 1,500-word or less essay to be submitted electronically via http://www.stemspotlightawards.ca/enter
- Category sponsors determine the preliminary winners in each category, each of which receives a $1,000 award.
- In the final phase, individual category winners are evaluated by three expert independent judges; the overall winner receiving the grand prize of $20,000!
- See the competition entry page and the official rules and regulations for more information.
See full Terms and Conditions here.
When does the competition begin?
Category questions are announced October 19, 2016 and the competition officially launches.
Submissions close December 2, 2016.
Winners are announced at an awards ceremony in Vancouver in January 2017.
Who is eligible to enter?
The STEM Spotlight Awards look for the next generation of problem-solvers to drive British Columbia’s economy into the 21st century. This competition is open for post-secondary individuals who are between the ages of 18 – 28 and are interested in pursuing a career in one of the STEM sectors. Applicants may enter on their own or as a team of 2, 3 or 4 individuals. Employees of the competition’s sponsors, their agents or anyone else professionally associated with the competition are not eligible to enter.
Who is involved in the STEM Spotlight Awards?
The STEM Spotlight Awards are presented in association with Babcock Canada Inc., a subsidiary of Babcock International Group.
- BC Ferries (Transportation category)
- Peace River Hydro Partners (Energy category)
- SNC-Lavalin (Infrastructure category)
- Structurlam (Sustainability category)
- Unbounce (Technology category)
- Vancouver Sun
- Global Television
Community and Industry Partners
- Industry Training Authority
- BC Safety Authority
- Talk Shop Media
- Science World
- Skills Canada
- BC Tech Association
- Science Fair Foundation
- Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology
- Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of BC
Why should you enter?
Top employers are interested in your creative solutions! If you think differently and want to see your creative solutions come to life, the STEM Spotlight Awards can showcase your ideas, fast track your career, and get you noticed.
This is a rare opportunity for individuals interested in the STEM sectors to develop solutions to real world problems and present their bright ideas to influential industry representatives – and potentially win $20,000!